Established: 2003, under Mayor Lee P. Brown
President: Addis Johannes
Contact Information: email@example.com
About the Relationship:
The Houston-Luanda Sister City Association, Inc. (HLSCA), is a volunteer organization committed to increasing cultural and educational exchanges to improve understanding and promote interaction between the people of Houston and Luanda. Areas of emphasis include working with the Houston Independent School District to support and mentor school systems in Luanda, Angola, working with the Cultural Department of Angola to promote the exchange of Angolan and American art and dance, and organizing a basketball clinic.
Other HLSCA activities include:
- Celebration of Angola Independence Day, November 11
- Annual participation in Houston International Festival
- Support for visiting education and cultural programs and leaders
- Cultural and educational mission trips to Luanda
- In-country donations of school and medical supplies and equipment
Officers and board members serve the HLSCA without compensation as volunteers. Corporate and individual membership fees and event sponsorship donations fund all activities.
Find out more about Luanda, Angola.