The Houston Office of Protocol and International Affairs (HOPIA) maintains an on-going internship program for qualified students with current undergraduate or graduate status. These unpaid positions permit students to view diplomacy and international relations from a unique perspective and provide exposure to the opportunities available in the field of international affairs.
The best-qualified applicants will have at least two years of college experience, knowledge of a foreign language, and preferably some experience living abroad. Strong writing skills are important, and computer proficiency is expected. The time commitment required is a minimum of ten hours per week. Due to the nature of our work, interns must be responsible, poised, and mature. Internships are unpaid, but parking and work-related expenses are reimbursed.
Interns will be exposed to all areas of HOPIA’s operations by participating in the daily operations of the office and by providing vital assistance to staff members. Each intern will also have an opportunity to complete a special project independently. These projects are chosen by consideration of both the student’s interests and the needs of HOPIA; often they involve research, surveys, event planning, or writing.
Sister Cities Internship Requirements:
Candidates for the sister cities internship must meet the aforementioned criteria for the Houston Office of Protocol and International Affairs internship program.
- Be exposed to cultures associated with Houston’s seventeen sister cities
- Gain knowledge of a non-profit organization’s internal and external operation
- Interact with volunteers and international groups
Intern Duties - Assist the Sister Cities Coordinator with:
- Data and report compilation
- Event coordination for sister city programs and official delegations
- Planning and implementing itineraries and schedules
- Attending Board meetings (schedule permitting)
- Other duties as assigned by the sister cities coordinator and other staff members
For more information regarding this program, please send a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to the address below or contact the Sister Cities Coordinator at 832-393-0700.
Houston Office of Protocol and International Affairs
Sister Cities Coordinator
901 Bagby #100
Houston, Texas 77002